In 1909, Elbert Gary donated funds so that the City of Gary could build a Young Men's Christian Association Building. The building was to serve as a sports and recreation center, library, temporary dormitory, and dining facility for men in the city. Joseph Silsbee had already set up a satellite office in the Gary Land Company Building and had much work at hand in the new city. Construction was under way for a similar building designed by Silsbee for the Oberlin College Campus. He seemed the perfect candidate for the new project in Gary.U. S. Steel Gary Works Photo Archive.